Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Thankful for the Small Things

When I think of giving thanks, I find myself thankful for small things such as seeing the colors of the sky or grass, getting a cup of coffee in the morning, the porches on our house, the rain, hearing music, or other small things. I felt kinda silly being thankful for these ordinary, little things, until.....

I see what my grandmother is going through. She is 96 years old and although she has her mind, she has lost nearly all capacity to see and hear. She has macular degeneration, which has slowly robbed her of her sight. When I walk into her room, she cannot tell it is me. She can't see pictures of our vacation, see how beautiful our kids are, or see what she is eating. 
She is also losing her hearing. It is getting harder to have a conversation with her on the phone or in person. She constantly has to have things repeated to her in a loud voice so she can understand.  

She is slowly sinking into a prison that is making life much less enjoyable. 

I realize now what a blessing it is to be able to see and hear the small and ordinary things around me. 

I also recently ran into an old friend of mine that has had surgery and radiation for oral cancer.  He can no longer speak or swallow. He told me that he was very discouraged. The reason: he had not been able to eat in over a year! Imagine! He had not been able to taste a steak, or hamburger,or anything in over a year. Tasting great food is pleasure! But he had not been able to taste anything for such a long time! 
He also can not talk so any communication had to be by hand! Very difficult and challenging! 
What he wouldn't give to talk and swallow again! 

When I see these challenges my grandmother and this friend are going through I realize that being thankful for small things like seeing beautiful things around me and tasting or eating delicious food is not so silly after all! 

There are many blessings we experience in life and we need to give a HUGE Thank you to God for ALL our blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment